Monday, November 26, 2007

Feeding the Wolves



I met an old friend from law school today for lunch and we discussed how many lawyers seem to enjoy arguing over every detail, even when it does their client a disservice. When I got back to the office, I found this story from the Trial Lawyers College listserve:

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a
battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son,
the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.
One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow,
regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt,
resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride,
superiority, and ego.

"The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope,
serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy,
generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then
asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."


A lot of lawyers feed the wrong wolf, in my opinion, but I have to admit that this is something I need to work on as well. Which wolf do you think law school teaches you to feed?

No comments: